Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Dad n Me

When I was 12 my dad purchased an air plane.  A Cesna 210.  But it was in Montana and we lived in Washington.  My dad's flying buddy Randy was a negotiator who had his own airplane and flew all over the country for work.   He and my dad cooked up a plan.   Randy had a deal to mediate in Washington DC.   Randy,  his daughter Joi, my dad and I all flew in Randy's small plane to DC.  My dad spent the days taking Joi and I to every landmark, memorial and on every tour he possibly could.  (We were in the gallery of congress on the day that the Susan B Anthony dollar was voted on and passed.)

There are a zillion happy memories from that trip but you'll see why I remembered this one...

One evening dad and I got all dressed up fancy and went to a very upscale French restaurant for dinner,  just the two of us.  He really set out to make a special daddy daughter date of it and I was so excited!  The restaurant was like nothing I had ever seen or experienced.  A very grown up place.  I was the only child there.   I remember feeling really self conscious because I didn't want to make a mistake and embarrass my dad.  The waiter had on a tuxedo.  And spoke with a very thick accent.  I couldn't understand anything he said.   And the menu... was in French.   

We were probably there for 15 minutes before my dad leaned accross the table motioning me close.   He whispered.... "you wanna get out of here and go get a pizza?"  YES!  We hailed a cab and went to Georgetown.  Found a fun little pizza place that we were totally over dressed for.  It was the best night ever! 

On the way home a week later Randy dropped my dad and I off at Yellowstone where we saw some sights and then took possession of dads new plane and flew ourselves home. 

21 years later....
A whole bunch more happy memories.  Dad and I ended up in DC - again.  We retraced many of our steps from our first visit.   Chose many of the same sights and museums "remembering when".  And we tried to find "our" pizza place but it wasn't there anymore. 


No comments:

Post a Comment