Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Snow Lake and back Again

In August 2011 I went hiking with a couple of friends.  The one guy of the group was in charge of deciding when and where with the only stipulation that I needed to be back for a work related meeting at 3pm.  He picked an "easy" hike from Alpental to Snow Lake.   We started early and since I'm a trusting person that likes to go with the flow I didn't feel the need to fact check.  I had a pack of essentials for both my dog and I. Plenty of water,  etc.

Snow Lake is 3.5 miles UP with an elevation gain of 1800 feet.   I'm an out of shape beginner hiker.  My friend Terry estimated a total of 3 hours round trip.   Two hours in I knew I wasn't turning back for a meeting.   There was no way in hell I'd go that far and not go the distance.   At 4 hours we reached the top of the climb where I took the attached photo,  but the lake was still 30 minutes in.  Down hill.  Which meant climbing back out if we went.   Again I said "if I've gotten this far there is no way I'm not going the distance."  So in we went.   It was worth it!  My dog was so happy to swim and play.  He's about 10 years old but had his puppy face on that day. 

Round trip was 7 miles.  It took us 6 hours.   I missed the meeting.  I didn't care.   My muscles screamed for a week.   I could hardly walk.  But I loved every minute of the pain because it reminded me of the amazing thing I'd done.   Had I known all the facts in advance I wouldn't have attempted it.   This was proof to me that what I can do is only limited by my own mindset.  I made it all the way to Show Lake and back again!   

No comments:

Post a Comment