Sunday, September 10, 2017

Let Them Eat Cake! (Off the Sidewalk)

Mother's Day 2000

For my gift,  Jordan had baked a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and colored sprinkles.   He was so proud of it!  We were going to my grandparents for dinner that night and decided to take the cake with us to have for dessert.  Jordan carefully held the cake in his lap the whole car ride there.  As my boy went to get out of the car somehow the cake dumped out of his lap and upside down onto the sidewalk.  Instantly his little eyes filled with the biggest pools of tears I'd ever seen. 
 
"Stay right there." I commanded.  "Don't move a muscle."  Then I dashed inside the house and told grandma to get 4 forks and meet us on the sidewalk, pronto!  Both Gram and Papa were in their early 80's at the time.  We hadn't had dinner yet but the 4 of us sat together on a busy sidewalk in Tacoma with forks in hand eating all of that chocolate cake right off the ground.  We had to be careful when we got down to the frosting layer though, it had pebbles and dirt in it.  This is one of my proudest parenting moments.  I didn't always do it this good - but this was one for the family history books!

No comments:

Post a Comment